EQE 688 - Earthquake Physics and Tectonics
COURSE NO AND TITLE : EQE 688 - Earthquake Physics and Tectonics
Tectonics (1-4 weeks)
Seismicity and Crustal Strength
Faulting mechanisms,and principal stres axes
Fault scaling laws
Regional stres tensor
Frictional coefficients of faults
Coulomb stres changes associated with earthquakes
Seismic Energy of Complex Faulting Process (5-7 weeks)
Static and Kinetic estimate of seismic energy /Stress drop, particle velocity, Rupture velocity /Scaling of earthquake process, Self-similarity
Dynamic Description of Earthquake Sources
Earthquake Source (7-10 weeks)
Kinematic Description of Earthquake Sources
Spatio-temporal variation of slip on a fault
Basic Theorem in Generating Seismic motions from Earthquake Sources
Low frequency strong motion inversions;
Ground Motion Generation Techniques (10-13 weeks)
Simulation of ground motion with Green’s function technique
(Theoretical and empirical techniques)
PREREQUISITES : EQE 520
DURATION & HOURS PER WEEK : 13 weeks -3 hours/week
GRADING BASIS :
Assignments 60 %
A Term Project 40 %
REFERENCE TEXTBOOKS :
- “The Mechanics of Earthquakes and Faulting” by C.Scholz, Cambridge Press, 2002.
- “Principles of Seismology” by A.Udias, Cambridge Press, 1999.
- “Earthquake Motion and Ground Conditions” edited by The Architectural Insititute of Japan,1993.
- “Earthquake Engineering Handbook”, edited by Chen and Schawtorn, CRC Press, 2003
- “Earthquake Hazard Analysis”, issues and insights, by Leon Reiter, Columbia University Press, 1991
- “Seismic Hazard and Risk Analysis”, Robin K. McGuire, EERI, 2004.
- Journal Papers