EQE 581 Selected Topics in Earthquake Engineering: "Seismic Design of Tunnels"
COURSE NO AND TITLE : EQE 581 Selected Topics in Earthquake Engineering: "Seismic Design of Tunnels"
· Factors That Affect Tunnel Seismic Performance
· Seismic Vulnerability of Tunnels, Observed Damage from Past Earthquakes
· Seismic Design Philosophy
· Evaluation of Transverse Ovaling/Racking Response of Tunnel Structures (Simplified Procedure, Analytical Method, Numerical Approach)
· Evaluation of Longitudinal Response of Tunnels (Free-Field Deformation Method, Simplified Method, Numerical Approach)
· Ground Failure Effects
PREREQUISITES : Geotechnical and Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering background
DURATION & HOURS PER WEEK : 3 hours per week
GRADING BASIS :
REFERENCE TEXTBOOKS :
FHWA RD-80-195, Oven G.N., Scholl R.E., 1981, Earthquake Engineering of Large Underground Structures
Wang, J.N., 1993, Seismic Design of Tunnels, A State-of-the-Art Approach, Monograph 7, Parsons Brinckerhoff Quade Douglass Inc., New York