EQE 550 - Earthquake Resistant Design
COURSE NO AND TITLE : EQE 550 – Earthquake Resistant Design
INSTRUCTOR : Dr. Eren Vuran
COURSE OBJECTIVES : The objective of the course is to present theoretical and practical aspects of earthquake resistant design with particular emphasis given to the application of Turkish Earthquake Resistant Design Code. The course includes the seismic analysis and design of a real multistory RC building in the form of a semester-long continuous homework.
COURSE SYLLABUS :
- Strength supply and ductility demand concepts.
- Nonlinear earthquake response of single-degree-of-freedom (SDOF) systems.
- Development and use of constant-ductility response spectra.
- Seismic Load Reduction Factors, Overstrength Factors
- Analysis requirements of Turkish Earthquake Resistant Design Code.
- Modeling of building structural systems for seismic design.
- Capacity Design principles
- Strength and ductility requirements for reinforced concrete and steel structures.
- Seismic detailing
PREREQUISITES : EQE 530
DURATION & HOURS PER WEEK : 12 weeks, 3 hours per week
GRADING BASIS :
- Continuous homework: Seismic analysis and design of a real multistory RC building
- Final exam on continuous homework
REFERENCE TEXTBOOKS :
(optional) course notes will be provided
Chopra, A.K. “Dynamics of Structures, Prentice Hall